[ESS] Coloring

Vitalie Spinu spinuvit at gmail.com
Fri Sep 13 23:55:32 CEST 2013

You should send this request to
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/help-gnu-emacs

Every mode in emacs is different. I don't know what java-mode does. Here
it is what ESS can do.

 >> Basanese <nathan at basanese.com>
 >> on Fri, 13 Sep 2013 14:39:06 -0700 (PDT) wrote:

 > I'm making a list of requirements and options for a text editor for
 > myself. So far, the best option looks to be Emacs Evil mode, since it
 > has the extensibility and features of Emacs combined with the
 > advantages, admittedly controversial, of the modal method and such
 > little extras as visual selection.  I have decided on some features,
 > as follows.

Not using it. Never used Vim either.

 > Does Emacs use error checking, like live spell check for code?

Yes, some modes integrate flymake and other modes use semantic parsing
of the code directly in emacs. The name of it is "semantic":
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Semantic.html#Semantic

ESS doesn't implement any of it. There wasn't much demand.

 > Also, is there a command sequence to jump to a function or variable's
 > definition, or to the relevant section of code from a stack-trace,
 > after moving the cursor to it?

Yes, there are plenty. You can use prebuilt tag tables (M-.). In ESS,
C-c C-e C-t builds a tag table for directory. Then use M-. to
navigate. You can use external library like imanu-anywhere
https://github.com/vitoshka/imenu-anywhere (available form MELPA) to
navigate between symbols in all open files of the same mode. Works for
any mode.

 > Java is a verbose language. I will be working in it frequently, and
 > will need to rely on code completion for certain libraries.  Does
 > Emacs have a code completion for variable names? I think it would
 > help catch bugs before they happen when something I need is not
 > accessible from the context I am in. Will it expand acronyms?

Mode dependent. Default completion C-M-i or auto-completion are the way
to go.

 > Does Emacs have very good code coloring? I mean beyond the standard
 > keyword, string, variable name coloring. Does it color member
 > variables, local variables, parameters? Is there a library that will,
 > in ActionScript, color a variable that is actually a setter/getter
 > like a function? Good code coloring is like peripheral vision.

Emacs comes and allows for theming. Plenty of themes are available.

 > As for refactoring, will it rename even setters and getters or string
 > usages?

There are packages specifically designed for refactoring.

magit https://github.com/magit/magit

 > Can you annotate files line by line?  How does the diff tool compare
 > to other systems?

emacs ediff tool is the best in my experience

 > Does Emacs have extensions for Smart Typing? Can I paste code and have it
 > automatically paste to the right tab position? Does it have options for auto
 > completion of end-brackets, parentheses, quotes, etc?

yes, all this is available by default or by packages:
http://melpa.milkbox.net,  but it is mode dependent and you should
figure it out yourself.

   Vitalie