[ESS] Emacs taking over CPU

Rodney Sparapani rsparapa at mcw.edu
Thu Sep 12 16:11:28 CEST 2013

On 09/12/2013 02:03 AM, Martin Maechler wrote:
>   see.  ... so I was wrong (below).
>
> I've always used 'emacs-snapshot' and 'emacs' ... but have
> overlooked that 'emacs24' also came into existence ... probably
> quite a while ago.
>
> Given that 24.1.x and 24.2.x has had bugs which affect  ESS,
> I'd recommend that you do use emacs-snapshot instead of emacs24
> on ubuntu (or then 'emacs' which is 23.4 .. and there must be
> good reasons that debian/ubuntu is staying with 23.x :
> My guess: some emacs tools (that had been debianized a long time
> ago) probably were never correctly ported to emacs 24.
>
> Martin

Hi Martin:

That's very interesting.  From the opposite side of the Linux
schism in Red Hat land, we don't have emacs24 or Debianized
emacs (I am especially thankful that we don't have the latter).

In any case, the bug affects not only ESS, but any
document/mode/etc. that uses image files (on non-Windows
platforms).  So, it's pretty wide spread.  IMHO, 24.1 and 24.2
should not be distributed without the patches that appear
in the bug report.

--
Rodney Sparapani, PhD
Manager of Statistical & Computational Operations