[ESS] Install experiences

Vitalie Spinu spinuvit at gmail.com
Thu Nov 28 03:51:30 CET 2013

 >>> Paul Johnson on Wed, 27 Nov 2013 19:54:29 -0600 wrote:

[...]

 > Concerning reading the registry, I expect that Gabor Grothendieck knows how
 > to read the registry to get the R location. We could learn how this is done
 > from the source code for NPPTOR and/or RStudio.  They both manage it. I
 > notice that RStudio seems to get it right, almost invariably, while NPPTOR
 > is only about 70% right.

It looks like we are talking more than doing on this issue for 2 years
already. It is just one system call, isn't it?

It is really unfortunate that almost all ESS core developers are Windows
illiterates, but what can we do about it?

So please, could someone with bare minimum of knowledge of windows batch
scripting look into Gabor's script at
https://batchfiles.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/R.bat and isolate the system
call that retrieves R location from the registry?

Let's solve this issue once and forever.

   Vitalie