[ESS] Aquamacs ESS slow scroll (buffering?)

Charles Berry ccberry at ucsd.edu
Tue Nov 26 21:20:56 CET 2013

Rainer M Krug <Rainer <at> krugs.de> writes:

> [...]
[deleted discussion of slowdown]

> > One workaround that could be implemented is to hide the long input
> > with elipses. The elipses could be expanded on user's request.
> > Then nor emacs redisplay, nor font-lock will interfere.
>
> I really like this - it so really nicely org-like.
>
> Following this folding, it would be brilliant if folding could be done
> at each level, i.e. if you say print(y), it would give you
>
> y...
>
> If you click on y, it would show all the list elements, but folded.
>
> Then you  can select the one one is interested in - a little bit like
> an interactive version of str.

You can use outline-minor-mode. The setup for *.R files is here:

   http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/ESSOutlineMode

For an iESS buffer, a very crude start is to add stuff like this:

(outline-minor-mode)
(setq outline-regexp "^> ")
(setq outline-level-iESS (lambda () 1))
(setq outline-level outline-level-iESS)

to inferior-ess-mode-hook. Then with <tab> bound to outline-cycle,
I can (un)fold the output for each command with <tab> or all of them
with C-u <tab>.

Admittedly not as slick as what you suggest, but still navigating this

> example(ls)...
> example(str)...
> example(ls.str)...

seems easier than scrolling thru the whole buffer.

HTH,

Chuck

[rest deleted]