[ESS] Configuring Emacs "à la RStudio"

Sebastien Vauban sva-news at mygooglest.com
Tue Nov 19 09:31:31 CET 2013

Hello Vitalie,

Vitalie Spinu wrote:
> Sebastien Vauban on Mon, 18 Nov 2013 11:15:50 +0100 wrote:
>>
>> Has anybody some code to share in order to configure Emacs so that we get the
>> same look and feel as in RStudio?
>>
>> See http://www.slideshare.net/fullscreen/izahn/rintro/9 for a VERY nice
>> example.
>
> What do you mean, concretely?
>
> If it is an auto-compmlete then you should look at
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/ESSAuto-complete If you have
> auto-complete installed everything should be automatic.
>
> There is no support for graphic devices directly in emacs window. There
> is a technical difficulty with that on the R side. I will send a
> separate email to the list on that.

I meant that, upon opening a .R file, extra windows get automatically created,
and laid out as in R studio: script file, "R shell", data in memory, graphics.

Side question: when opening a .R file, I get ESS[S] written in the modeline.
What must I do to get ESS[R]?  What's the impact of having S displayed?

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban