[ESS] rewire C-RET to M-RET

Andreas Leha andreas.leha at med.uni-goettingen.de
Thu Nov 7 21:30:07 CET 2013

Hi Vitalie,

Vitalie Spinu <spinuvit at gmail.com> writes:

> Oh, that is embarrassing. It is one of our legacy code that was snicking
> M-RET into ess-mode hook. It was overwriting your customization. I
> corrected that.

Thanks a lot for that!  I can confirm that it is working now.

Just for reference:
This is what works now in both, 'emacs' and'emacs -nw':
(eval-after-load "ess-mode"
  '(define-key ess-mode-map (kbd "M-RET") 'ess-eval-region-or-line-and-step))

> More generally. I don't like M-RET binding. It is a nice key for users
> to set for whatever they want. We have "C-c C-e /" for
> ess-set-working-directory which does the same thing in a bit more
> user-friendly way.
>
> Shall we remove M-RET?

As I have just rewired M-RET to something else, I do not need that
default binding obviously...

[...]

Regards,
Andreas