[ESS] Rterm

Richard M. Heiberger rmh at temple.edu
Sat Nov 2 00:29:51 CET 2013

Patrick,

The etiquette of this list is that you should stay on the list.  I am
putting this back
on the list.

I don't understand how that could be because the defun M-x
R-3.0.2-64bit is defined by the same
startup actions that define M-x R.
please send to the list your emacs version M-x version and ess version
M-x ess-version

Perhaps you overwrote M-x R?
Check in the *scratch* buffer by typing
(symbol-function 'R) C-j
also check
(symbol-function 'R-newest) C-j

Please try starting emacs without any local files.  From the MSDOS cmd prompt
emacs -Q
Then enter
(load-file "c:/path/to/ess/on/your/machine/lisp/ess-site.el")
Then try
M-x R

If that works, there is a problem with your site-start.el or your .emacs file

Since you are getting a complaint about Rterm not executable,
please confirm that both
c:/Program Files/R/R-3.0.2/bin/i386/Rterm.exe
and
c:/Program Files/R/R-3.0.2/bin/x64/Rterm.exe
are present and executable.

Please describe precisely (such that we can duplicate what you did) exactly
what you tried and the exact phrasing of what the system said.

Please report back to the list what finally worked.

Rich