[ESS] ESS 13.05 release next week: beta testers welcome

Vitalie Spinu spinuvit at gmail.com
Fri May 10 20:36:15 CEST 2013

 >> Vincent Goulet <vincent.goulet at dgfc.ulaval.ca>
 >> on Fri, 10 May 2013 14:22:25 -0400 wrote:

 > Le 2013-05-09 à 09:27, Rodney Sparapani <rsparapa at mcw.edu> a écrit :
 >> Two of the new/improved features in particular are ElDoc and tracebug.
 >> You can find more information about ElDoc at
 >> http://ess.r-project.org/Manual/ess.html#ESS-ElDoc>
 >> Note that you can turn off ElDoc, by placing this in your ~/.emacs
 >> file {prior to (require 'ess-site) }:
 >> (setq ess-use-eldoc nil)
 >>
 >> You can find more information about tracebug at
 >> http://ess.r-project.org/Manual/ess.html#ESS-tracebug>
 >> You can toggle tracebug off/on via issuing the following command:
 >> M-x ess-tracebug

 > In my distributions, I put a line (require 'ess-eldoc) in the
 > default.el file. I suppose it shouldn't be there anymore with ESS
 > 13.05?

Indeed. Eldoc is on by default and that functionality is built-in now.

Also

(setq-default inferior-R-args "--no-restore-history --no-save ")

--no-restore-history has no effect because ESS/comint manages its own
completion ring. I think having it there is a bit confusing for users.

;; Set code indentation following the standard in R sources.
(setq ess-default-style 'C++)

I am not sure about this, but I think the recommended style is RRR,
which closer resembles R's conventions. At least we are using it for ESS
R code. Martin probably can say more on this one.

    Vitalie