[ESS] Introducing Polymode

Mathieu Basille basille at ase-research.org
Thu Mar 28 23:23:06 CET 2013

Dear Vitalie,

It's great to hear from your efforts in Polymode! I just tried to use it on
Rmd files on Emacs Snapshot [24.3.50.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
3.4.2) of 2013-03-25] on Debian. First I tried to simply add the following
to my .emacs:

(setq load-path (append '("/home/mathieu/.emacs-site/polymode/"
       "/home/mathieu/.emacs-site/polymode/modes") load-path))
(require 'poly-R)
(require 'poly-markdown)
(require 'poly-noweb)

As stated in the above code, I downloaded (using git) Polymode in
/home/mathieu/.emacs-site/polymode/

If I now visit a .Rmd file, I get this after startup:

Error during redisplay: (jit-lock-function 1) signaled (void-variable
object-name)
Error during redisplay: (jit-lock-function 522) signaled (void-variable
object-name)

And from time to time if I navigate in the file:

polymode error: Symbol's value as variable is void: object-name

I don't know if this is useful, but Emacs indicates (Markdown Rmd vl Wrap),
as compared to (Markdown vl Wrap) without Polymode. If I try a polymode
function (such as M-n C-n), I get this:

equal: Symbol's value as variable is void: object-name
polymode error: Symbol's value as variable is void: object-name

Appart of that, not much happened compared to regular Markdown mode.
Shouldn't it load R (minor) mode in R code chunks? I also tried to remove
everything from my .emacs, and use only the few lines above, with the exact
same result. Am I missing anything here?

Thanks again a lot for your work on this!
Mathieu.

Le 03/26/2013 02:26 PM, Vitalie Spinu a écrit :

> Hi All,
>
> I would like to announce a development version of new multi-major-mode
> called polymode. Source, screenshots and installation instructions are
> here:
>
>     https://github.com/vitoshka/polymode
>

> There is still some work to be done as it is not very stable as yet. I
> have just realized that I won't be able to pursue very active
> development for the weeks to come, so I decided to announce it right
> away. This includes some indentation issues and unstable font-lock in
> C++ submodes. C++R seems to work fine.
>
> Currently it has builtin supports for Rnw, Rmd, Rhtml, Rbrew, Rcpp, cppR
> and "live" R examples in Rd and ess-help buffers. Adding new polymodes
> is literally about 25 lines of declarations. See "modes" directory and
> particularly poly-R.el. Also look in test directory for test
> examples. The interface is not fully settled as yet and thus, not
> documented.
>
> There is also a default association with md extension. This basically
> means that as long as you have a proper declaration ```foo, and foo-mode
> function exists the chunk will be initialized with that mode.
>
> It would be really nice if enthusiastic people can try it out and report
> bugs/comments/suggestions, either directly to me, or preferably on the
> github bug tracker. But please read the words warning first;)
>
> Hopefully it will be useful to some people even at this stage.
>
>      Vitalie

~$ whoami
Mathieu Basille, PhD

~$ locate --details
University of Florida \\
Fort Lauderdale Research and Education Center
(+1) 954-577-6314
http://ase-research.org/basille

~$ fortune
« Le tout est de tout dire, et je manque de mots
Et je manque de temps, et je manque d'audace. »
  -- Paul Éluard