[ESS] feature request: look more places for R on windows

Rodney Sparapani rsparapa at mcw.edu
Thu Mar 28 20:30:33 CET 2013

On 03/28/2013 01:42 PM, Ross Boylan wrote:
> BTW, the path is available in the registry at
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\R-core\R\2.15.3 under InstallPath.  There is
> also an entry that uses \R32\ instead of \R\ in the registry tree.

Something like this has been suggested before (for example, see the
discussion from June 15th).  There are a few problems here:

1) Generally, ESS developers are not cracker-jack Windows developers.
2) There have been MAJOR changes in Windows especially 7 and 8
which may (or may not) be at issue here; for example, multi-user
installs of ESS require omniscience.
3) it is not obvious to me why we need to search both the
HKLM and HKCU root keys (and perhaps others as well?!?).

So, I don't see this suggestion being acted on UNLESS there is
a Windows developer lurking out there who wants to work on ESS.
But, thanks anyways ;o)

--
Rodney Sparapani, PhD  Center for Patient Care and Outcomes Research
Sr. Biostatistician               http://www.mcw.edu/pcor