[ESS] help("foo") opens web browser but ?foo doesn't

Henrik Singmann henrik.singmann at psychologie.uni-freiburg.de
Wed Mar 13 13:57:05 CET 2013

Am 13.03.2013 13:13, schrieb Marc Schwartz:
> Different incantation in .emacs:
>
> (setq inferior-ess-r-help-command "help(\"%s\", help_type=\"html\")\n")
>
> which works in both cases.

Thanks, but unfortunately produces the exact same behavior on my machine: opens browser for help("foo") but Emacs buffer for ?foo.

I realized it has to do with the options. When starting the R terminal from within emacs I get:

> > options(chmhelp=FALSE, help_type="text")
> options(STERM='iESS', str.dendrogram.last="'", editor='emacsclient.exe', show.error.locations=TRUE)

When running

> options(help_type="html")

I get the desired behavior afterwards.

However, I am unable to change my R startup options for the desired behavior. My Rprofile.site does contain the correct options. If adding a .Rprofile to my home directory (where my .emacs is located) with this line it doesn't help either. Googling was also no help.

So my question is: How do I customize my ESS startup options. Is there a variable for that?

Thanks,

Henrik

--
Dipl. Psych. Henrik Singmann