[ESS] Debug mode puts point in the wrong buffer

Vitalie Spinu spinuvit at gmail.com
Thu Jun 20 22:19:17 CEST 2013

[...]

 > ... If I use 'C-c C-c' to evaluate the function, then the line is
 > highlight. However, if I use C-RET to evaluate each everything 'step
 > by step', then debug mode is on (red DB), but the line '1+2' is *not
 > highlighted*. That's certainly a bug, right?

No. The behavior does depend on the way you evaluate it. There is no
feasible way to insert source references into the function if you
evaluate it line by line. Only C-c C-c, C-c C-f,  C-c C-l and C-c C-b
are inserting source by default. C-c C-c inserts only when function is
detected.

You can set ess-inject-source to t (see the docs in ESS dev). Then all
the evaluation commands in ESS will inject the source references. But
that comes with a price - you won't be able to accumulate the code as in
your example with C-RET.

    Vitalie