[ESS] Debug mode puts point in the wrong buffer

Andreas Leha andreas.leha at med.uni-goettingen.de
Thu Jun 20 21:05:09 CEST 2013

Hi Vitalie,

Vitalie Spinu <spinuvit at gmail.com> writes:

>  >> Andreas Leha <andreas.leha at med.uni-goettingen.de>
>  >> on Thu, 20 Jun 2013 13:54:58 +0200 wrote:
>
> [...]
>

>  >     Called from: foo()
>  >     Browse[1]>
>  >     debug bei /tmp/ESS-region/20-103751.R at 6#3:1 + 2
>  >     Browse[2]>
>
> Damn, this is German, right. ESS tracks "debug at", and other English
> phrases. To illustrate, paste the following into your *R* session:
>

>    debug at /tmp/ESS-region/tests.R at 28#3: 1 + 2
>
>    Browse[2]> Error in x %*% y (from models.R#46) :
>
>    Error in source("~/R/funcs.R") (from hierarchy.R#6) :
>
> You should see all 3 references above highlighted and clickable.
>
> Tracking all possible languages is not an option. May be there is a way
> to ask R for this, but I don't know how.
>
> So you have two options. Either make your R speak English, or set the
> regexp variables that start with ess--dbg-regexp-* to your
> language. They are defined in ess-tracebug.el at line 1102. Also
> ess-R-error-regexp-alist and all the regexps added to
> compilation-error-regexp-alist-alist. See ess-r-d.el at lines 232-247
> (in ESS devel).
>
> The second option is a bit of a pain and is clearly not recommended. Bot
> R and ESS sides could be modified in the future.

Thanks for the explanation!  Since the second option is 'clearly not
recommended' I have only one option ;-)

So, now I have set
    Sys.setlocale("LC_MESSAGES", "C")
and this seems to work for tracebug.

I'll see if that causes any bad side effects elsewhere.

Anyway, changing the messages to English is not a problem for me, so I
am happy with that option.

If that limitation stays, it should be stated in the manual.

But IMO such a line in the documentation sounds really strange:  Full
functionality of tracebug is available for English speaking users only.
So, it would be great if there was a more 'localization robust' solution.

Thanks again.  Off to some visual debugging...

Andreas