[ESS] Problem with indenting and sending lines to R after updating to 13.05

Frank Harrell harrelfe at gmail.com
Sun Jun 2 18:29:39 CEST 2013

Paul Johnson <pauljohn32 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> On Jun 2, 2013 9:43 AM, "Frank Harrell" <harrelfe <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > Thanks very much Kevin.  The setq did the trick.  I am not clear on why
> such
> > a strange new default was chosen, but I'm sure others have discussed
that.

> Maybe I don't know which extra spaces you mean?
>
> They want to follow the recommendations in the Writing R Extensions. I
> think that's a good thing!  It is the clearest style guidance in the R
> docs. 4 spaces, and indentation under long function names is now more
> consistent.
>
> You mean different spaces?
>
> > Please note that I'm not using S-Plus.  ESS thinks I am, and hence the
> > failure when I attempt to send lines to the R console even though the R
> > console launched fine from within ESS.
> >

> I can't reproduce this on Debian Jessie, installed from repo packages, no
> manual config. With Emacs 24.3 ess 13.05.  You don't mention your details.
> I suspect some legacy configs linger, maybe old ESS files floating about.
> have some other VM handy, could try replicate if you tell what you
> run/install.
>
> And same funny Splus error happens if you remove your custom start File
and
> run M-x R to initiate? Maybe the Emacs wonks who hate the button sabotaged
> it :)  Like you, I use the big blue R, but people say 'tusk, an amateur'
> when they see me do it.
>
> I am Just curious about your trouble. I am going into KU Summer Stats Camp
> mode now and the campers will hit every little snag like this and it pays
> me to be ready.
>
> I'd be interested to know ...
>
> Pj
>
> > If it matters, I have defined the following in my .emacs
> > Frank

Thanks Paul.  Regarding spaces, I was seeing that with nested if( ) { } I
was getting too much line wrapping because of excessive indents.

I tried removing almost everything from .emacs and ESS is still looking for
either Splus or an Splus working directory, neither of which I asked for.  I
wonder if I need to do a clean reinstall of ESS as you alluded to, and what
is the best way in debian to remove all traces of past ESS installations.

When I do dpkg --list ess* I just get:

ii  ess            13.05-2rarin all          Emacs mode for statistical
progra

This Splus problem occurs on two Ubuntu machines similarly configured.

Frank