[ESS] Function template

Vitalie Spinu spinuvit at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 23:39:56 CET 2013

  >> Marc Anderson <marcanders at gmail.com>
  >> on Tue, 22 Jan 2013 19:05:50 +0100 wrote:

  > Dear All,
  > I have using ESS 12.09-2 under GNU Emacs *24.2* for Windows to run R.
  > According to the documentation of ess-function-template I should get my
  > function template when editing new function but when I use C-c-C-e C-d I
  > get an empty buffer. This is the definition of variable in Emacs:

  > ess-function-template is a variable defined in `ess-custom.el'.
  > Its value is " <- function( )
  > {
  > }"
  > Original value was
  > " <- function( )\n{\n\n}\n"

  > Documentation:
  > If non-nil, function template used when editing nonexistent objects.

  > The edit buffer will contain the object name in quotes, followed by
  > this string. Point will be placed after the first parenthesis or
  > bracket.

  > You can customize this variable.

I was not aware of this feature. Does it work for anyone? Did it ever
work? I had a glance at the code, and frankly I don't understand the
intend of it. It is clearly not what the above doc-string says. Could
anyone please explain how C-c C-e C-d is supposed to work in the above
case?

    Thanks,
    Vitalie