[ESS] Auto-completion buffer pop-up

Paul Johnson pauljohn32 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 23:51:00 CET 2013

On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 2:15 PM, Vitalie Spinu <spinuvit at gmail.com> wrote:
>   >> Rolf Timp <rjt112 at gmail.com>
>   >> on Thu, 14 Feb 2013 15:07:26 -0500 wrote:
>
>   > Thanks for the information.
>   > I'm using gnu emacs 23.1.1.
>
>   > I've found that the problem does not occur when I use the gui version of
>   > emacs, vs a version directly in my console. Is there any any way of
>   > standardizing the presentation between the two?
>
> The completion mechanism was rewritten in emacs 24. That might be the
> cause of your problem. Try to update. For me it works in the console as
> expected with emacs 24.

I can verify this solution. In Debian, I'm running the experimental
Emacs-24.3.50.1
and the insertion of (setq completion-auto-help nil) in the init stops
that completion buffer from popping out.  It was a problem I had that
I did not even know there was a name for.

So thanks to Vitalie for fixing up ESS, and thanks to Bob Dole for
telling me how to turn off those pop out completion things (which are
annoying!).

And also thanks to Bob for his many years of public service to our
fine state of Kansas.