[ESS] Does M-x package-install compile ESS's e-lisp?

Rodney Sparapani rsparapa at mcw.edu
Tue Feb 19 17:41:46 CET 2013

On 02/18/2013 10:16 AM, Martin Maechler wrote:
> Why?
> It's just wrong to have  built (docu) files in the revision
> control system sources.
>
> I have no idea about MELPA yet, but why can't they work off the
> ess tarball ?
> We can change the format of the tarball if it helps them.
>
> Martin

Hi Martin:

Good question!  And I suppose the answer is:  it's a github thing,
you wouldn't understand ;o)  The less glib answer, I guess, has to
do with the recipe...
(ess :repo "emacs-ess/ESS" :fetcher github :files
      ("*.el" ("lisp" "lisp/*.el") ("etc" "etc/*")))

The recipe just grabs the lisp/*.el files and the files in etc.  It
doesn't bother with the tarball since it is not in the git repo and
it doesn't grab the files in doc since ...  Since, I don't know
why.  I guess githubbers are so bleeding edge they don't read the
documentation?!?  I don't know.  ESS users need to keep in mind that
the package manager is very EXPERIMENTAL and not supported by anyone.

--
Rodney Sparapani, PhD  Center for Patient Care and Outcomes Research
Sr. Biostatistician               http://www.mcw.edu/pcor