[ESS] Version currently available in ELPA?

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Wed Feb 6 10:56:02 CET 2013

    > Interestingly M-x ess-version gets me: "[No match]"
    > (immediately after the "ess-version" in the minibuffer)
    > I'm using stock Emacs on Debian squeeze
    > ("23.2+1.7+squeeze" according to Synaptic) and also the
    > stock ESS (says "5.11-1")

    > Am I way behind the cutting edge with ESS then?
    > I suspect I am.

Indeed, you definitely are.
I don't know the current names of the
   (stable, testing, unstable, experimental)
{is the terminology above correct ?} versions of Debian.

But I think you cannot reasonably stay with 'stable' if you want
to be anywhere close to 'cutting edge'.

What I think you *can* do however {but I no longer recall how exactly}
is to decide to use some (small! preferrably) parts of say
Debian unstable, but for the rest stay with Debian stable.
.. and then do that exactly with ESS ..

Thanks to Dirk Eddelbuettel (CC'ed now, so he can correct all my
fuzzy/inaccurate statements :-), a new release of ESS is almost
immediately "merged into" to Debian, however,
typically 'unstable' only, IIRC.

    > What is the easiest way for me to stay nearer the
    > edge if not right on the github (or whatever) bleeding
    > edge ... or is that a safe place to be?

It's a matter of taste if you use svn (my preference) or github
here.  But really I'd think that's often too bleeding edge to
recommend for regular use.

    > TIA and thanks to all who make ESS so good and contribute
    > so generously and politely here: wonderful list.

:-)

    > Chris

Martin Maechler,
ETH Zurich (& ESS core )