[ESS] ?':::' hangs

Rodney Sparapani rsparapa at mcw.edu
Fri Dec 6 16:09:05 CET 2013

On 12/06/2013 12:59 AM, Frede Aakmann Tøgersen wrote:
> I guess that if an R session has been idle for some time the Rtmp buffer can be deleted. In such a case a restart of R will create a new Rtmp buffer which is then used. However what I usely do is
>
> M-x make-directory <return> /tmp/890731.1.desktop.q/Rtmp1UoPmE <return>
>
> and everything works again.
>
> Yours sincerely / Med venlig hilsen

I suspect this has nothing to do with emacs/ESS or R for that matter.
This is probably the automated cleaning of /tmp.  See
http://serverfault.com/questions/377348/when-does-tmp-get-cleared

For example, on our system, I see that the time limit is only 240
hours.  However, I can exclude Rtmp from this via
/etc/cron.daily/tmpwatch as follows...
/usr/sbin/tmpwatch ... -X '/tmp/Rtmp*' 240 /tmp

But then we may end up with lots of Rtmp's floating around so I'm
hesitant.  In fact, we are in the process of moving /tmp to a
larger disk.  So be careful.  For example, installing all R packages
from CRAN could fill up the disk /tmp is on.

--
Rodney Sparapani, PhD
Manager of Statistical & Computational Operations