[ESS] Aquamacs ESS slow scroll (buffering?)

Rodney Sparapani rsparapa at mcw.edu
Wed Dec 4 20:59:16 CET 2013

On 11/24/2013 02:06 PM, Paul Johnson wrote:
> I've been uninterested in Macs, but I'm trying to be more helpful with
> student questions by using a MacBook Pro sometimes.  I installed Aquamacs,
> which has ESS 13.05 built in.
>
> I'm encouraging students to Aquamacs because there is some hope of
> continuity across platforms if they learn Emacs on Windows and Linux.  But
> it is not as uniform as I would like, since Aquamacs has fiddled the menus
> and shortcut keys just enough to make this frustrating. Anyway...
>
> Yesterday, a student said he preferred to use R.app because Aquamacs is
> super slow while displaying long vectors of text values. Huh? I thought he
> must have broken something in his Mac, but I see same.
>
> Can you guess if this is a configuration problem, or a Mac OSX problem?
>
> My working example, with system.time output at the end.
>
> ## Paul Johnson
> ## 2013-11-23
>
> ## Student reports that Macintosh Aquamacs has slow on-screen scrolling
> ## of large text arrays. So I've created this test
>
> set.seed(23456)
>
> y <-  lapply(1:50000, function(x) paste0(letters[1:(rpois(1, 10))],
> collapse=""))
>
> system.time(print(y))

Good news/bad news...  It is not specific to Mac OS X or Aquamacs.
Actually, 13.05 is one of the faster releases of ESS ;o)  ESS 13.09 has
a bug in it that makes this same operation even slower ;o(  But, we will
be releasing 13.09-1 RSN which should make it competitive with 13.05 ;o)
--
Rodney Sparapani, PhD
Manager of Statistical & Computational Operations