[ESS] best way to clean up iESS buffer?

Vitalie Spinu spinuvit at gmail.com
Sun Aug 18 21:55:33 CEST 2013

 >> Igor Sosa Mayor <joseleopoldo1792 at gmail.com>
 >> on Sun, 18 Aug 2013 10:03:50 +0200 wrote:

[...]

 > But, I think I did not explain well what I meant. Sometimes the iESS
 > buffer has a lot of stuff I dont want to see anymore. I'm just looking
 > for a way to say ESS: `clean up the iESS buffer from outputs, but don't
 > remove the commands'.

No you explained it well. I just don't see why would you want to clean
up the *R* buffer and leave all commands in. You would like to do
something with those commands, don't you? May be paste them into new R
buffer or paste them at prompt. Right? That is what C-u C-u C-y is for.

If you want to get rid of the *R* buffer text altogether kill it first
(C-w). There is nothing more automated than this, and I don't quite see
yet the need for more.

On a more general note, if someone is bothered by the output in *R*,
he/she is probably using it wrongly. Sub-process buffer is full of
junk. You should rarely navigate through it's output deeper than past
3-4 commands. Periodically clean it with C-x Bkspace, and that's it.

All your commands should be in a script file, from which you execute
them. You should not do programming in *R* buffers whatsoever.

   Vitalie