[ESS] Fwd: ess sas interactive (remote)

Vinh Nguyen vinhdizzo at gmail.com
Fri Apr 12 16:48:59 CEST 2013

Hi everyone,

i'm trying to use sas interactive remotely using ESS in Emacs per the
instructions at
http://ess.r-project.org/Manual/ess.html#Interactive-ESS.  However,
I'm not getting the expected behavior.  That is, I do:

- Open foo.sas in Emacs
- M-x shell: start shell.
- SSH over to remote machine in shell buffer
- start sas: sas -stdio
- In shell buffer, M-x ess-remote, select SAS language.

Expected behavior: code to be sent to shell buffer.

Observed behavior: ESS starts the log, lst buffer, and starts a sas
interactive session on my local computer.

I also tried the instructions from
http://www.stattler.com/blog/remotely-running-sas-interactive-mode-using-ess,
but M-x ess-sas-interactive did not set up my shell buffer right (I
get a wrongp error).

However, if I start a sas interactive session locally first, eg, M-x
SAS, then have a shell buffer for my remote sas interactive session
(M-x remote), then I can go back to the sas file buffer and use C-c
C-s to switch to the remote buffer.  That works (code can be sent over
using "C-c i").  However, this way of getting things to work is just a
major hassle, and not all local computers will have sas.

Was wondering how people are using sas remotely using ESS?  Please
advise.  Thanks.

-- Vinh