[ESS] ess-tracebug behavior [probably wishlist]

Ross Boylan ross at biostat.ucsf.edu
Tue Apr 9 21:00:53 CEST 2013

When I flag a function for debugging with C-c C-t d I get the usual
browser dialog, but no display of the function with the current line
highlighted.  I'm also using ess developer.

I suspect this is the expected behavior.  It would be really nice if
such a display came up, and the printout of the function body and the
calling arguments were suppressed (I think I saw an option to cut this
off, at least if it was long, but am not sure how to do that).

ess-tracebug will not in general know where the source file is (which is
why I think the current behavior is  expected).  I can imagine two
function body into a temporary file.

It could also be more or less clever about finding the source location
automatically.

There are various nasty corner cases because the same symbol could refer
to different functions at different points in a single source file.  The
symbol could also be a variable that is not the name of any function
definition.

Ross