[ESS] Help in 12.09

Vitalie Spinu spinuvit at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 21:27:19 CEST 2012

  >> <gerald.jean at dgag.ca>
  >> on Wed, 26 Sep 2012 15:03:08 -0400 wrote:

  > Hello,

  > I installed ess latest version yesterday:

  > ess-version : 12.09 [rev. 5167 (2012-09-24)]

  > I am running it on a Linux box with Emacs 23.3.2.  In Splus, C-c C-v used
  > to prompt for a function's name in the mini-buffer, gave completion on the
  > name and once the name complete pops the help file in its own Emacs buffer.

  > Now C-c C-v yields the following:

  > ess-get-S-help-topics-function: Invalid function: with-ess-process-buffer

  > Am I missing something?
Yes, most likely a proper installation of ESS.

Make sure the right ESS is loaded. with-ess-process-buffer is defined in
ess-inf.el. First do M-: (featurep 'ess-inf). If it is t (nil is wrong)
that means you have an old ESS wrongly loaded. Do C-h f
ess-get-S-help-topics-function and go to the source file. From there see
if the file is in the right directory. Open ess-inf.el and check if
with-ess-process-buffer is indeed there.

    HTH,
    Vitalie