[ESS] *Beta* release of ess-12.09

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Mon Sep 17 16:01:48 CEST 2012

Dear ESS lovers,

By the end of this week, we plan to release ESS 12.09
to the public.
As there are have been many changes,
not all of which are (completely) back compatible,
and also internal reorganization of some parts,
and as in addition, Emacs 23 and 24 are both used in different
places, we are asking for
your cooperation in the true sense Free software spirit of "share and enjoy":
We'd like you to *beta* test the current ESS 12.09
where  M-x ess-version says
 "12.09 [rev. 5110 (2012-09-15)]"

by downloading and trying the beta tar (or zip) balls
at ess.r-project.org, e.g., directly
 http://stat.ethz.ch/ESS/downloads/ess/ess-12.09_beta.tgz

*and* please do report problems either to
1)
   ess-bugs at r-project.org  or (almost equivalently) to
   ess-core at r-project.org
 where only the ESS developers will see them

2)
 or also often to "here", ess-help at r-project.org,
 so others can see your report, and possibly discuss about it.

The first bug report -- you do not have to send in :-) :

There is *NO* list of   "Changes/New Features in 12.09"  yet...
even though there are many.

BTW: Of course, you can also use the uptodate development
version via svn (subversion)
https://svn.r-project.org/ESS/trunk/
or also its *mirror* at github.

- - -