[ESS] ess-remote

Sebastian P.Luque spluque at gmail.com
Sat Sep 15 02:38:34 CEST 2012

On Fri, 14 Sep 2012 17:04:31 -0400,
Kasper Daniel Hansen <kasperdanielhansen at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 3:34 PM, Seb <spluque at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> what if I am running in a terminal+bash+ssh+screen+R?

>> I don't know screen, sorry, but where is Emacs/ESS here?

> My guess is that he wants to connect to R running inside a screen
> session on a remote server.

> I might add, I am pretty interested in this as well.  I do most of my
> computing in this way, but I run R inside emacs, inside screen
> remotely (essentially everything, including Emacs is remote).  It
> would be really nice to be able to connect to a remote screen session
> (with R running inside) from a local Emacs.

I may need to understand screen a little better, but how does this
compare with simply getting into your remote Emacs/ESS/R via
'emacsclient -nw' in the local terminal SSH'ed to the remote machine?
One can start long jobs on a remote machine this way, and then 'C-x 5 0'
and logout.  It can be picked up at any time after that in the same way.

--
Seb