[ESS] Emacs 24 + ESS + auto-complete-mode crashing on Ubuntu

Andreas Leha andreas.leha at med.uni-goettingen.de
Fri Sep 14 21:36:26 CEST 2012

Leo Alekseyev <dnquark at gmail.com> writes:

>>   CZ> Sorry for the noise & blaming ESS,
>>
>> Not noise, it's good to be aware of, and keep an open eye on such
>> problems. Thanks.
>>

> Seconded; I have sometimes experienced Emacs 24 hanging dead on
> autocompletion...  I am now tempted to try compiling myself to see if
> it's more stable.

Similar here.  But for me there is no *hang* but emacs just crashes
with a segfault -- no message besides that.

To get my work done (with a lot less comfort) I had to disable
autocompletion for R.

My emacs version is:
Emacs 24.2.50.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.4.2) of 2012-09-11
on dex, modified by Debian)
from http://emacs.naquadah.org unstable.

I have not reported this, as I experienced the problem only on quite
complex sessions (but reproducible there).  So, providing an offending
example has proven difficult.

I'll try a self-compiled version of emacs as well.  But I don't expect too much
from this....

Side note:
I was using my own clone of auto-complete from
http://cx4a.org/repo/auto-complete.git and switched to the
debian-packaged version, but no avail.

Regards,
Andreas