[ESS] Emacs 24 + ESS + auto-complete-mode crashing on Ubuntu

Vitalie Spinu spinuvit at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 16:00:59 CEST 2012

  >> Christian Zang <christian.zang at wzw.tum.de>
  >> on Fri, 14 Sep 2012 10:47:42 +0200 wrote:

  CZ> Christian Zang <christian.zang at wzw.tum.de> writes:
  >> Dear list,
  >>
  >> I have some serious issues with Emacs 24 crashing on Ubuntu 12.04 during ESS
  >> sessions.  I use emacs-snapshot (currently version 24.2.50.1 from
  >> ppa:cassou/emacs) and latest ESS from git (12.09, c3990d7859).
  >> Everything works fine and as expected as long as I do not turn on
  >> auto-complete-mode.  If auto-complete-mode is turned on, Emacs quickly
  >> crashes in an unpredictable fashion in midst of auto completion.  As
  >> all other things I use auto-completion for (python, org-mode,
  >> latex...) work fine, I suspect ESS to be the culprit.
  >>
  >> I use latest auto-complete-mode and popup.el from git, and also tried
  >> several downgrades for Emacs, ESS, and auto-complete-mode without
  >> success.
  >>
  >> Is anyone experiencing the same problem? Any help appreciated, thanks!
  >>
  >> Here is the minimal init.el that reproduces the crash:

  CZ> ... to answer my own question: I dumped Emacs 24 from the ppa in favour
  CZ> of a self-built one (instructions here [1]), and everything is now
  CZ> working as expected (fingers crossed...).

Hm, that might be a problem with the latest emacs. I am also using that
ppa, and with the one I have (GNU Emacs 24.2.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu,
GTK+ Version 3.4.2) of 2012-09-06 on alphard, modified by Debian), I
have never experience your problem. That would be a nightmare.

  CZ> Sorry for the noise & blaming ESS,

Not noise, it's good to be aware of, and keep an open eye on such
problems. Thanks.

    Vitalie