[ESS] How do I customise the frame split when I run a line of R from ESS?

Sat Sep 1 17:14:53 CEST 2012

Hi Chris,

On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 3:13 PM, Chris Evans <chrishold at psyctc.org> wrote:
> I am running Emacs with ESS both installed from the Ubuntu 12.04 defaults.
> Help says Emacs is:
>
> "GNU Emacs 23.3.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.10)
>  of 2012-03-25 on roseapple, modified by Debian"
>
> ESS is ESS version 12.04-4
>
> The default behaviour when I run a line of code from the icon in ESS seems
> to be a vertical split.  I'd love to get back to what I'm used to which is a
> horizontal split.

Perhaps an easier thing to do is to up your "splits" before you start
sending your code from your R source buffer to running R buffer,
things will work out as you like.

For instance -- assuming you just started a fresh emacs session:

(1) Open up the R script you want to start fiddling with;
(2) Split your buffer horizontaly (ctrl-x 2)
(3) Switch over to the bottom buffer (ctrl-x o)
(4) Start R (M-x R)
(5) Jump back up to your R source file (ctrl-x o)
(6) Start plugging away ...

>  I thought I could find .emacs and edit that but I'm
> failing at square one: I can't find any .emacs file.  Using find seems to
> confirm that there isn't one which seems bizarre.

.emacs is in your home directory, ie. you'll find it in: ~/.emacs

If it's not there you can make one and put your customizations there
(if there is a ~/.emacs.d directory, your customizations might be in
there. I think if emacs doesn't find a ~/.emacs file, it'll look for a
~/.emacs.d/init.el file to load next (not 100% sure about that).

HTH,
-steve

--
Steve Lianoglou