[ESS] autocompletion of function arguments in 12.09

Vitalie Spinu spinuvit at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 21:48:06 CEST 2012

  >> "Richard M. Heiberger" <rmh at temple.edu>
  >> on Tue, 9 Oct 2012 15:27:03 -0400 wrote:

  > Vitalie,

  > What is your rationale for preferring space around " = "? I always
  > want space around " <- ", and almost never around "=". In an
  > argument list, the argument name and "=" and the value are the
  > visual unit for me.  That is a function call consists of a function
  > name and then a list of arguments.  The " = " gives the impression
  > of three times as many units as I want to think about.

Yes, there are pros and cons, and of course it's a matter of taste (and
eye vision). Compare

   foo(long.argument = safdsf, delim_arg = 343, funnyArg_sfd = sdfdf(sdfds))

   foo(long.argument=safdsf, delim_arg=343, funnyArg_sfd=sdfdf(sdfds))

And now spread across lines:

   foo(long.argument = safdsf,
       delim_arg     = 343,
       funnyArg_sfd  = sdfdf(sdfds))

   foo(long.argument=safdsf,
       delim_arg=343,
       funnyArg_sfd=sdfdf(sdfds))

Before 12.09 we didn't have highlighting of "=", now it can be easily
activated. So it's even less of a problem now.

In general I feel that more sparse the code is, easier it is to
read. That includes spaces in "if( ", "for( ", " = " and various empty
lines inside functions to delimit declarations, main body, return values
etc. I literally force myself to put spaces and empty lines in the code,
because I know it will be much easier to read later.

    Vitlaie