[ESS] disabling C-c h bound to ess-handy-commands

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Tue Oct 9 19:50:37 CEST 2012

On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 3:13 PM, Vitalie Spinu <spinuvit at gmail.com> wrote:
>   >> Rodney Sparapani <rsparapa at mcw.edu>
>   >> on Mon, 08 Oct 2012 07:58:28 -0500 wrote:
>
>   > On 10/07/2012 03:32 PM, Vitalie Spinu wrote:
>   >> C-c C-r         ess-eval-region
>   >> If transient-mark is active. This one is redundant with C-c C-c,
>   >> C-M-x, C-RET. Roxygen would be good on it.
>
>   > Hmmm...  I have used C-c C-r quite a lot actually (my fingers do it without me
>   > really thinking about it).  I would like to keep it.
>   > You say, "If transient-mark is active".  What happens otherwise?
>   > I'm grasping at anything that could possibly save this keypress.
>
> No worries, C-c C-r is in the front of list ;)
>
> Here is a constructive proposal:
>
> C-c C-e ess-extra-map (includes roxygen, which already hands on it)
> C-c C-d ess-doc-map (ess-dump-object-into-edit-buffer is moved onto C-c C-e C-e)
> C-c C-d ess-dev-map (ess-execute-in-tb is moved on C-c C-e C-t)
> C-c C-a ess-handy-commands
>
> Remove C-c C-y (C-c C-z does the job and is faster)
> Remove C-c C-k (C-c C-s should be enough and is faster)
>
> ;; Not very sure about this one:
> Remove C-c C-f (C-c C-c and C-M-x do that anyways)
>
> C-c C-f is a very handy key and can be assigned to something very nice
> (like tooltips on object structure http://www.sigmafield.org/comment/10
> which we are planing to move into ESS soon).

I like all your proposals but the last.
C-c C-f  has -- for a very long time -- been one of the most important
eval commands.
It's ok to *plan* to *eventually*  remove it,
but as with important changes in R, this *definitely* needs a
deprecation period of at least one year.   Many of us good S and R
programmers  write functions "all the time", and have had ingrained
C-c C-f  long before  C-c C-c (or even C-M-x) came along at all.
The deprecation in the first phase would mean to have it work as
previously with an additional
"beep"+deprecation message;  the 2nd phase would still keep the
deprecation message, but the user would have to use the new command
(say C-c C-c).

Martin
(Yes, I'm in vacations and typically do *not* have / take time to
follow e-mail discussions, this week)