[ESS] disabling C-c h bound to ess-handy-commands

Ali Tofigh alix.tofigh at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 22:36:36 CEST 2012

On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 3:42 PM, Vitalie Spinu <spinuvit at gmail.com> wrote:
>   >> Vitalie Spinu <spinuvit at gmail.com>
>   >> on Fri, 05 Oct 2012 20:50:54 +0200 wrote:
>
>   VS> That is an old saying which very few packages respect ;)
>
> Or may be it's a new saying that old packages don't respect. Don't
> really know.

:-D

Well, at least in my emacs setup, the only package that I use and
binds C-c [a-z] is ess... here is the documentation I found on emacs
key binding convention:
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Key-Binding-Conventions.html

specifically: "Don't define C-c letter as a key in Lisp programs.
Sequences consisting of C-c and a letter (either upper or lower case)
are reserved for users; they are the only sequences reserved for
users, so do not block them. Changing all the Emacs major modes to
respect this convention was a lot of work; abandoning this convention
would make that work go to waste, and inconvenience users. Please
comply with it."

But then I wouldn't know how recent this conversion of all emacs major
modes is...

and thanks for the snippet.

/ali