[ESS] knitr

Vitalie Spinu spinuvit at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 20:20:01 CEST 2012

  >> Yihui Xie <xie at yihui.name>
  >> on Sat, 2 Jun 2012 10:48:40 -0400 wrote:

  > I asked knitr users about the ESS support and here is one contribution
  > from them: http://sjp.co.nz/posts/emacs-ess-knitr/ It seems to be in
  > rough edges, but should be a good proof of concept.

  > I will be glad if knitr is going to the official ESS. As Vitalie
  > mentioned, the noweb support can be backend independent, so that
  > users can define how to weave the Rnw file.

I have just added knitr processor for Rnw files to the trunk. That is,
there is a customizable ess-swv-processor variable, which, if set to
'knitr, makes "M-n s" to knit instead of Sweave, and "M-n T" to purl
instead of Stangle.

There are also specialized ess-swv-knit and ess-swv-purl bound to "M-n
r" and "M-n u" exactly as in the above add-on by Simon Potter.

Will be available in a patch release pretty soon.

  > Or you can take an even further step to support other file formats
  > like R HTML, R Markdown, R reStructuredText, ... (knitr supports all
  > of them) It will be cool to be able to knit() and preview an HTML file
  > with ESS. From our experience, LaTeX really stopped many people from
  > playing with literate programming with R.

This functionality is unfortunately delayed, but will be available in
the next version of ESS.

    Best,
    Vitalie.