[ESS] emacs 24 "woe": file name completion does not work for me

Vitalie Spinu spinuvit at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 18:11:37 CET 2012

  >> Martin Maechler <maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch>
  >> on Thu, 15 Nov 2012 17:56:59 +0100 wrote:

[...]

  > As I mentioned (visible below),
  > comint-dynamic-complete is now an  *alias*  for `completion-at-point'
  > but completion-at-point does by default *not* include filename
  > completion which was originally one of *the* important
  > completion types in comint.

  > For this reason, I think "they" should have considered either
  > adding the comint-filename-completion to the
  > completion-at-point-functions by default, *or* then it's not
  > valid to make comint-dynamic-complete  an alias.
  > Rather  comint-dynamic-complete  should then temporarily /
  > locally add the ..-filename-completion to the completion
  > functions and then call completion-at-point.
  > Hence, it would no longer be an alias for but a wrapper around
  > completion-at-point.

(completion-at-point) is a general mechanism. In comint buffers the
file-name-completion still works because it calls
comint-completion-at-point which is essentially the old
comint-dynamic-complete.

I guess there are modes where file completion does not make much
sense. Otherwise it would make sense to add it globally. I will ask.

    Vitalie