[ESS] underscore in BUGS mode

Jack Tanner ihok at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 24 21:38:48 CET 2012

Rodney Sparapani <rsparapa <at> mcw.edu> writes:

> Jack Tanner wrote:
> >
> > 1. In ESS[BUGS] mode, underscore is bound to ess-bugs-hot-arrow, which is
> > definitely wrong, because it doesn't let me create variables like foo_bar.
>
> That's true.  I'm assuming that you are using BUGS/JAGS with R/S-plus.
> Since I have never seen underscore used in R/S-plus, I'm assuming the
> same for BUGS/JAGS.  Of course, as the wags say, patches welcome.

Well, underscore is a legal character in R identifiers. It hasn't been an
operator in years. To treat is otherwise clashes with R's syntax rules. (Not
sure about S-plus.) And it's never been an operator in BUGS, so ESS is just
doing the wrong thing.

I get the patches welcome part, but I'm definitely not a elisp hacker.