[ESS] ess-tracebug to open a file

Feng Li m at feng.li
Tue Mar 13 19:27:58 CET 2012

Dear all,

First I would like to thank the ESS people's all the hard work. I am
watching the project closely and witnessing the improvements day by day.

Besides I found a strange situation using `ess-tracebug'. Please tell me
if I am wrong or this is a bug.

Start Emacs with "emacs -Q" and load ESS and enable ess-tracebug.

Create a file named `testFun1.R' with the following contents
> testFun1<-function(x)
>   {
>     y <- x+2
>     browser()
>     return(y)
>   }
>
> testFun1(2)

Then start R under the same directory and run the command
> source("testFun1.R")

which will show the following information
>> source("testFun1.R")
> Called from: testFun1(2)
> Browse[1]> debug at testFun1.R#5: return(y)

Then if I left click `testFun1.R#5' I get this error
> Wrong type argument: listp, [cl-struct-compilation--message (nil 5 (("testFun1.R" nil) nil (5 #1)) nil nil) 2 nil]

Here are some system information might be useful

Emacs version
> GNU Emacs 24.0.94.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.2.3) of 2012-02-27 on nova

ESS version
> SVN trunk at 4690

Linux version
> 3.2.0-2-amd64 (Debian 3.2.9-1) (debian-kernel at lists.debian.org) (gcc version 4.6.3 (Debian 4.6.3-1) ) #1 SMP Sun Mar 4 22:48:17 UTC 2012