[ESS] Open help in new buffer, but not in a new frame

Vitalie Spinu spinuvit at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 16:32:01 CET 2012

  > Ah, sry for dummy explanation. ess-help-own-frame is set to nil.
  > I usually work with two buffers opened side by side (C-x 3). So I got used
  > to see help buffer appear in the the buffer other than one that has focus.
  > E.g. if I have *R* buffer on the left hand side, I'd like to see R help
  > buffer appear in the right. That's not what happens now - if I call C-c C-v
  > in *R* buffer, help buffer is opened in the same window where *R* was
  > located. I saw the R Help config stuff, but it tends to open help buffer in
  > a new frame, which I don't like.

Right, it was the recent fix of the bogus-buffer bug. It's solved
now. As a bonus you have a smarter quit(q) and kill(k) in help now. It
returns you back to previous buffer (*R* in your case). Please check.

BTW, I believe almost everyone would like to have the new
'ess-help-pop-to-buffer set to t by default. Though nil is consistent
with emacs help display, R help files are much longer and usually don't
fit in one screen. So it make sense to pop into them during the
display. Shall I make it the default?

Vitalie.