[ESS] (solved) Emacs SHELL not found

Joshua Wiley jwiley.psych at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 03:28:10 CEST 2012

On Sat, Jun 2, 2012 at 9:50 AM, Rodney Sparapani <rsparapa at mcw.edu> wrote:
> On 06/02/2012 10:38 AM, Joshua Wiley wrote:
>>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I was having problems with the default SHELL set by Emacs with Windows
>> 7 x64, but in the process of creating a minimal and reproducible
>> example, the my error became clear and I was able to solve it.  Thanks
>> for the help!
>>
>> Josh
>>

> Hi Josh:
>
> I'm on the edge of me seat; tell us more ;o)

Well I was using a function that internally calls shell().  shell() by
default looks at the environment variables: R_SHELL, SHELL, COMSPEC in
that order for the shell to use to run commands.  With Emacs + ESS,
SHELL is set to the cmdproxy, whereas in Rterm, R_SHELL and SHELL are
not set by default (and I have not set them) so it uses COMSPEC, which
explains why code I could run perfectly fine from Rterm failed in
Emacs, but is easily avoidable by simply specifying which shell to
use.