[ESS] interactive evaluation of embedded code blocks

Stephen Eglen S.J.Eglen at damtp.cam.ac.uk
Sat Jun 2 21:20:18 CEST 2012

hi MIchael,

> Interesting to hear the chatter about knitr today. Related to this is the
> desire to evaluate Sweave, knitr, etc reports incrementally and
> interactively. It is of course currently possible to evaluate the *body* of
> a block, but what about the other parameters of the block with side
> effects? This is essentially a generalization of the report generator to
> the notion of "annotated code blocks".
Have you tried using org mode, and org-babel?  You can either process
the whole buffer, or interactively run chunks and send them e.g. to an
*ESS* session that you can then interact with.

(What I don't like about org-babel is that it seems overly complicated,
compared to the straightforward markup of Sweave.)

Stephen