[ESS] ess for julia, question

Vitalie Spinu spinuvit at gmail.com
Sun Jul 22 13:09:37 CEST 2012

Hi Carlos,

  >> Carlos Hernandez <carlos_uni2 at yahoo.es>
  >> on Sun, 22 Jul 2012 00:23:11 +0100 (BST) wrote:

  > Hi, Good afternoon.

  > I am trying to install ESS for use with Julia. I followed the exact instructions here
  > https://github.com/emacs-ess/ESS/wiki/Julia

  > but when I open a file .jl the julia-mode does not start the interactive ESS
  > process and I can't use the C-c C-r or C-c C-j for evaluating
  > lines.

Autostart of Julia process is not implemented yet. You can see this by
trying to switch to process buffer with C-c C-z, which would give an
appropriate warning. Normally C-c C-z would autostart the proc.

Just do M-x julia to get the process running. Then ESS evaluation
command will automatically connect to it.

  > The strange thing is that if i open an R file, then the r-mode will
  > start the ESS in interactive mode and it will be able to send my
  > code to the julia process.

This could happen when there is only one process running. This will be
fixed soon. For now you can just simply switch associated processes with
C-c C-s.

The last point is that you better user C-c C-c to evaluate whole
paragraphs because julia cannot accumulate individual lines as R does
(at least it couldn't 2 months ago).

Vitalie.