[ESS] GNU Emacs, ESS and point

Rodney Sparapani rsparapa at mcw.edu
Wed Jul 18 20:39:03 CEST 2012

On 07/18/2012 10:46 AM, Richard M. Heiberger wrote:
>     Actually, you don't need the same buffer open several times to get
>     bitten by this bug (v. 23.3.1).  Even if you only have it open once,
>     and you surf to another buffer; returning to your buffer will put
>     you at a different point?!?!  The workaround is to NEVER have the
>     same buffer open more than once; AND don't EVER surf away from it.
>     Peculiar to say the least.
>

> If I understand rightly, that is not right.  If you return to a buffer
> with C-x b or C-x o
> I believe point will stay put.  If you go to a buffer by clicking on it,
> then point will
> be where you clicked.

I'm not clicking, I am using either the tabbar or the Buffers menu.
But, I agree, that it must be a bug in 23.3.1.  Unfortunately, the
last time I reported a bug in 23.3.1, they just said something like
"resolved: fixed in 24.1".  Not very helpful.  I guess I'll just
live with it until I can install a newer version of GNU Emacs (but
complaining feels so good ;o)  Thanks

--
Rodney Sparapani, PhD  Center for Patient Care and Outcomes Research
Sr. Biostatistician               http://www.mcw.edu/pcor