[ESS] GNU Emacs, ESS and point

Rodney Sparapani rsparapa at mcw.edu
Wed Jul 18 17:26:27 CEST 2012

On 03/05/2012 01:12 PM, Rodney Sparapani wrote:

> Ok, here is something that I don't understand. When you have
> a file opened in different frames, GNU Emacs doesn't remember
> point. I can see how this sort of makes sense (although, XEmacs
> somehow does it better; I'm not sure where this setting is). Someone
> must have dealt with this smartly on the GNU side, right? If you have
> a big file open (and a big file benefits the most from this
> multiple view scenario so this is pretty common), is there
> any way to smartly manage point? This type of point management
> is sort of what we have created in ess-revert-wisely. But,
> what if you don't want to revert? Thanks

Actually, you don't need the same buffer open several times to get
bitten by this bug (v. 23.3.1).  Even if you only have it open once,
and you surf to another buffer; returning to your buffer will put
you at a different point?!?!  The workaround is to NEVER have the
same buffer open more than once; AND don't EVER surf away from it.
Peculiar to say the least.

Rodney