[ESS] Current version?

Rodney Sparapani rsparapa at mcw.edu
Tue Jan 24 18:29:06 CET 2012

Ken Williams wrote:
> Or perhaps I'm mistaken - does 5.14 actually change over time with "stealth" updates that fix any bugs found?

Like I said, releases tend to be pretty stable.  But, when a new bug is
identified, it is fixed first in the development branch; and you can get
it there if you need it.  If the bug is fairly widespread, then a
corresponding new release is triggered.
> I'm not trying to criticize, I know it takes extra effort to maintain 2 branches of a codebase.  Just trying to explain why some non-core developer might want to try 5.15 if they're looking for something vaguely like "the thing that might work best for me right now".  And that if the dev branch is not considered suitable for testing in situ, there probably won't be as much testing of it.

We would appreciate it if people do test the development branch.  But,
we want to stress that there may be issues; please be prepared to retreat
to the released version.  This often means maintaining two separate
setups.  However, the downside is as you suggest; testing by non-developers
is infrequent.

--
Rodney Sparapani, PhD  Center for Patient Care and Outcomes Research
Sr. Biostatistician               http://www.mcw.edu/pcor