[ESS] ess-library or ess-display-help-on-object do not work (properly)

Vitalie Spinu spinuvit at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 21:46:29 CET 2012

Vitalie Spinu <spinuvit at gmail.com> writes:

>> At first, all ido-completions are working like a charm. After I load
>> wordcloud, everything's fine... I can use
>> ess-display-help-on-object(binded to C-c C-v). But after I load
>> brew, I can't get help for brew. Same stands for packages that are added
>> afterwards. This seems like a bug to me. Can you replicate this behaviour?
>>

> This is old ESS not-so-nice behaviour which relies on tracking your
> input. Try with argument:  C-u C-c C-v

ESS has a feature to track the occurrence of library(...) if you invoke
it from the prompt, and resets cached objects. If you send
"library(...)"  from another buffer ESS doesn't detect it.

ess-library didn't reset it either,  not it does.

The above unreliable detection will probably go away in the close
future,  but not for the next ESS release. For time being you can use
the universal argument to force updating of the help topics.

Vitalie.