[ESS] remoting ESS/R with tramp

Michael Albinus michael.albinus at gmx.de
Fri Jan 13 09:57:39 CET 2012

Rodney Sparapani <rsparapa at mcw.edu> writes:

> FYI...  The graphics issue seems to be related to the fact that
> (for me) while using tramp, the DISPLAY variable is unset.
> This is not really an ESS issue per se, but it seems like fault
> tolerant coding is in order.  However, I'm not really sure how
> to tackle it right now.

The default solution for this problem is to add the following line to
the respective entry in your ~/.ssh/config:

     ForwardX11	yes

Alternatively, Tramp would accept the following setting:

(add-to-list 'tramp-remote-process-environment
             (format "DISPLAY=%s" (getenv "DISPLAY")))

Maybe I could also recommend reading the Tramp manual, section
"Integration with other Emacs packages" :-)

Best regards, Michael.