[ESS] .emacs file seems not fully operative since upgrade from 22.3 to 24.3

Vitalie Spinu spinuvit at gmail.com
Sat Feb 18 10:57:09 CET 2012

  > Vitalie Spinu wrote:
  >>
  >> I am probably missing something obvious here, but how does it behave better
  >> if it overrides user's settings behind his back?
  >>

  > For many ESS variables, you need the setq before the require.  That way
  > the setq's in their init files will be honored.  For example,
  > (setq ess-sas-global-unix-keys t) needs to be before (require 'ess-site)
  > so the functions that rely on the setting of this variable get to see
  > the user's preference rather than the default specified by the defvar
  > which is nil (GECS does not allow function keys to be set globally by
  > default).

  > Rodney

Ok, I see the point now. It's harmless as long as there are no resets
with (setq ..), i.e. everything is done with (defvar ...).

In the case of Vincent's default.el it's the setqs which are overriding
the user's settings. It might be a good idea that all these setqs,
unrelated to ESS, be moved back to .site-start.el which is executed
before the users init file.

Vitalie.