[ESS] .emacs file seems not fully operative since upgrade from 22.3 to 24.3

Vitalie Spinu spinuvit at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 19:15:36 CET 2012

  > Fill remains "on" in .Rnw files, despite

  > (global-visual-line-mode -1)

Visual-line-mode was just a suggestion, as I thought you were confusing
things. Actually you will probably would like to have visual-line-mode
in latex mode active. It plays nicely with preview, as opposed to
auto-fill.

Something turns on your auto-fill mode. Look carefully into your config for
hooks. Check the value of text-mode-hook, tex-mode-hook, LaTeX-mode-hook and
noweb-mode-hook if there is anything there (C-h v).

Also look into .emacs-custom may be you set something there by mistake.

Put the (cd ...) command at the end of your .emacs file, it works for me,
should work for you as well. I don't know a better solution. There must
be a customization for the init behavior somewhere, as Rodney said, it
would be a better alternative,  if only we can find it :o).

Best,
Vitalie.