[ESS] public git mirror?

Rodney Sparapani rsparapa at mcw.edu
Thu Feb 9 22:40:22 CET 2012

Vitalie Spinu wrote:
> Ess, emacs and r-project are all user accounts actually,and they are not
> related in any way to what we think they should mean.
>
>  There are at least 5 projects titled ESS and unrelated to us -
> Efficient Subwindow Search, Employee Scheduling System :) etc, and also
> another unofficial ess mirror at feng-li/ess.  So it looks like ess is
> quite a popular name over there. Yet another reason to name our
> "organization" explicitly.
>
> As to subdirectories, there is https://github.com/emacsmirror/ess which,
> as has been said, doesn't fulfill the requirements. First, that would
> mean that the core developers will have to fork the project as any other
> user. And other users will have to choose the developer to address pull
> requests to - quite confusing. There must be a centralized project
> location where all core developers can push and all pull request from
> other users are directed to. This is exactly what the organizations on
> github are for. Second, organizations, as compared to simple user
> accounts, offer some additional features like teams and enhanced
> permission control. Third reason to have our own "organization", instead
> of being just a project on somebody's board, is that if we start a
> related project (or split existing one), it will be part of the same
> "organization" which is natural thing to be.
>
> Vitalie.

The more I see; the more I realize that I am not the person to make
this decision.  Feel free to create an "organization" as you see
fit.  I was trying to avoid "Emacs Speaks Statistics" since...
#1 it is verbose,
#2 and even more cogently, ESS doesn't really stand for that anymore,
per se, just like IBM and SAS don't really stand for anything.

But, if we can't avoid it; let's embrace our heritage!

--
Rodney Sparapani, PhD  Center for Patient Care and Outcomes Research
Sr. Biostatistician               http://www.mcw.edu/pcor