[ESS] (no subject)

Vitalie Spinu spinuvit at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 22:07:26 CET 2012

Hi Mathew,

Can you be a bit more specific about your usage pattern. There are
plenty of reasons to keep the open session, most important being:

  1) your work is usually an incremental analysis process - write,
 execute, write;
  2) interactive help not available without a session
  3) interactive completions like eldoc and auto-complete are not
  available without a session.

The only reason, I can think of, to have batch evaluation is to run long
simulations outside emacs, and then reconnect to the
session. Unfortunately this is not yet available in ESS[R].

What you want reminds me of the org-babel's notebook style workflow. You
open your org file in which you keep code blocks. After you execute your
code blocks the output is inserted in the same buffer aside your code.

    Vitalie