[ESS] [R] .Rd vs. .R, was: matrix multiplication

Vitalie Spinu spinuvit at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 23:27:50 CET 2012

  >> Kasper Daniel Hansen <kasperdanielhansen at gmail.com>
  >> on Thu, 6 Dec 2012 16:15:09 -0500 wrote:

  > This is really useful to refer to other peoples home directories.
  > Really nice and useful if you work with other people on the same
  > system.  Especially since at my institution, our home dirs are not
  > just /home/khansen or /Users/khansen, but rather something like
  >  /home/DEPARTMENT/STATUS/khansen
  > with STATUS being student/faculty/etc  And since I would with people
  > with different statuses in different departments, fully expanding
  > their homedir path is ... irritating.  And several people I share
  > scripts with don't user ESS, so they freely user the ~username syntax.

Yeh, I see now. Indeed, looks like a very useful feature that I was not
aware of.

If I run R from emacs shell, the expansion works. So, indeed, it boils
down to --no-readline.

I have tried M-x R without --no-readline and it works fine. It was added
long-long back in

   ╭──────── #4628 ─ /home/vitoshka/ESS/git/lisp/ChangeLog ──
   │
   │ Tue Aug 18 10:28:22 1998  Martin Maechler  <maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch>
   │
   │ 	* essd-r.el (R): add the "--no-readline" argument to r-start-args.

My guess is that this is not needed anymore. Martin?

    Vitalie